Thursday, May 24, 2012

Don't Pack Tuna

With show season upon us, Mom and I pack the trailer with all the foods we think we'll eat during the show (we usually just end up eating Ramen noodles and spaghetti anyway). She found this big metal box, big enough to fit a person inside, that she used with her family for camping trips when she was younger, and we pack all our canned foods in it. Well, when I opened it to check it at 9:00 tonight, it smelled like death.


I couldn't figure out what had spoiled, because everything was canned or sealed. Then I thought maybe a mouse had found its way in and never out. As I pulled items out one-by-one, I began seeing little pellets and a maggot here or there.

Gross.

Still, I pulled everything out and never found a dead animal. Until we got to the other end of the food...one of the tuna cans had broken its seal and sat in the box rotting over the winter. So technically something had died, just not what we'd expected. There's nothing like the smell of rotting fish flesh to make you reconsider your dinner. It couldn't have been the less disgusting tomato sauce, or can of soup?

Here's a helpful hint to you all, when packing non-perishable foods, double check that they are in fact, sealed.

Imagine this, only black and soupy...you'll never pack tuna again.

No comments:

Post a Comment