Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Ugly Turkey

My morning sounded like this:
Jeff: Hey someone's selling a peahen on Craig's List.
Mom: What would you do with a peahen?
Jeff: Breed it to the peacock that's been running around Herb's farm.
Mom: Herb has a peacock?
Jeff: It's not his, it just showed up one day and is living with a flock of wild turkeys on his land.

He made whole thing sound absolutely normal. Mom and I thought it was pretty damn funny that a peacock is living with wild turkeys.


Apparently this peacock, who was probably somebody's pet that got loose, has been living with these turkeys for about a year now. I'd love to get a picture of them. The whole thing reminds me of The Ugly Duckling.

When I googled a picture of this, I got an even more amusing image. I guess people have created a myth about a "Teacock." It's like a mule or a liger; a cross between two species. A teacock is a turkey and a peacock. It looks like this:


Although the site I found that on, said they're called Ocellated Turkeys and only found in the Yucatan Peninsula or something. I don't know if they exist, if that's photoshopped, or what. Either way, I'm sure the rogue peacock on our neighbor's farm is safe from the Thanksgiving hunting season.



No comments:

Post a Comment