Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Welcome back, Killdeers!

One of the best sounds I ever hear besides the Spring Peeper frogs, is the call of the Killdeer birds. They have this loud annoying squawk, but it means spring and summer are just around the corner. They sound like this:

Video taken from my bedroom window.

They love to roost in the wetlands and our pastures, so they squawk all summer long. You grow to love it after a long winter. Although, the crazy little things make nests on the ground, and love to make their nests from the stones in our outdoor riding arena. Then when you get close to their eggs, they puff their orange under feathers and chirp at you. It's kind of cute.


As annoying as they seem, I absolutely love them!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish we had laughing gulls here. Summer would be an endless laugh.

      Delete
  2. I never knew that's what those birds looked like. Birds freak me out a little, but these are so cute. Hurry up spring peepers! I love how they sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the Peepers are probably my favoriteee thing about spring! And the Killdeer birds are a little scary looking but also cute in a way. =)

      Delete