Monday, March 25, 2013

Tranquility

Our typical Pennsylvania weather dumped a handful of inches of snow on us last night, transforming our nice, breezy, 45 degree Sunday into a cold, wet, 34 degree Monday.



So toward dusk today, I was out bottle feeding Nina her dinner. I let her out of her pen and after she finished we scampered about the snowy yard for a few minutes. She loves to run along and it's good for her to stretch her growing legs.

As it grew dark, I led her back into her pen. The sky was a mix of grey and blue, and everything was just so still and quiet. As I turned to walk to the house, I caught an owl's soft hoot coming from the woods behind the horse fields. I absolutely love owls. I stood there and listened to its sombre melody as little drops of ice and snow fell around Nina and me. It was as if, for just a few minutes, everything was purely peaceful.

It's little stolen moments like that, no matter the time of day or year, that make me truly appreciate where I live. I'm so glad I don't live in a city with constant noise. I love seeing the stars every night and hearing the owls outside my windows. The country (even the outskirts of suburbia) is true tranquility.




No comments:

Post a Comment