Wednesday, April 10, 2013

We have a sprinter

Nina is growing fast, and with the nice weather we love to take her out of her pen and let her stretch her legs (when the dog isn't chasing her). She first stuck right by my hip like a calf would to its mother, but now she's starting to wander off and graze in the grass. Although, being the baby she is, she doesn't graze for very long before she gets bored and wants to explore.




She'll start by wandering off in a direction that seems interesting, such as the neighbor's yard with the horses. As I go after her though, she starts to walk faster, causing me to walk faster, until we're both in a frantic half-jog.



I don't want her to get too close to the road because she'll get hit, and she doesn't come when I call like a dog would. At some point, when she gets way too close to danger for my comfort, we both end up sprinting until I catch her and drag her back into our yard in a head-lock with the bottle in front of her face, just out of reach.

The neighbors probably find this extremely funny.

I've decided not to let her out without other people to help catch her if needed. I wish our border collie mix knew how to herd, because then I'd have her round up the calf (she's old and deaf now). Even though Nina makes me panic a little, I still love spending sunny days laying about the yard with the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment