Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chasing Chance

Our horses rarely get loose. I've only seen it happen maybe four times in the ten years we've owned the stable. Over the weekend though, one of the newer horses somehow took off when my brother tried to lead him to the field, and began the chase.



(What Chance thinks he looked like.)


I'd planned on spending my Saturday indoors, with it being around 95 degrees. (Days like those make me desperate for a pool. Or even a pond.) I was knee deep in clothes, cleaning my room and doing laundry when I saw a grey horse sprint past my bedroom window, with his lead flying behind him. 


It was one of those "What the--?" moments, followed by a dash down the stairs. When you see a loose horse running around you don't really think, you just act. Which is how I ended up outside in cowboy boots, basketball shorts, and a plain sports bra. Normally I wouldn't leave my room dressed like that. 


My brother, his three friends, my mom, and I all ran around the neighborhood  trying to corner Chance. It probably looked a little frantic to the passing soccer moms. Each time we got close to him he bolted. Anyone who got a hold of his lead was dragged and resulted in rope burn. One of the boys held on too long, and Chance dragged him through the weeds, across the rocky driveway and nearly stepped on him.

Eventually he ran into the barn and after closing all the doors, he trotted into a stall. Aside from a few scrapes, many bruises, rope burn, and a kick mark on one of the other boys, everyone ended up ok. It could've been a lot worse, and we're thankful no one got seriously injured.

It wasn't exactly how I expected my day to go, but it was a better work out than any gym could give you. Never wish for a dull day when you live on a farm...karma has a wicked sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment