Sunday, June 23, 2013

Piglets!

Wilma delivered her piglets!



A coworker of mine asked me Friday afternoon if I had any plans for the weekend. I said no, that I had plans last weekend (the NASCAR race) and I was looking forward to two days of relaxing farm-time. Well, Wilma decided I shouldn't relax too much. My mom called me shortly after I climbed on an early bus to leave Pittsburgh. She said Wilma was in labor.

Lucky for me, Miss Wilma waited until I got home to start delivering the babies. Alexa, Mom, and I were there with her the whole time, and welcomed every single piglet to the world. Crazy enough though, that was the easiest part.


After all 14 (yes, 14!!) were born, things got a little hectic. There's tiny, fragile piglets everywhere and our nerves were short circuiting. Our biggest concern is when Wilma stands and walks around after nursing them. Since there are so many and they're so tiny, it's incredibly easy to accidentally step on one.

She's a great pig mom though. She tries very hard to not hurt them, and if one is behind her when she lays down, it screams and she gets up right away. Keeping your eye on 14 little creatures is a big huge job.


It's been almost 48 hours since they were born, and all 14 are still alive and healthy. The first week is the danger zone for piglets. They are at their highest risk of being injured, or not getting enough to eat if they're too little to compete with their bigger siblings. However, each day improves their odds and they grow bigger and stronger.




We're excited to finally have new little ones again. They're so cute and funny to watch. I can't wait to raise these ones. Being a mom of 14 is incredibly nerve wracking, but I love it. I'm glad Wilma changed my weekend plans from relaxing to hectic.


No comments:

Post a Comment